Oct 27, 2014

Memory Lane Monday #31 ~ Review ~ Linger by Maggie Stiefvater


Memory Lane Monday is a weekly meme that Amber at Paradise of Pages and I, Kristalyn at The Sarcastic Palmtree, came up with. We have been wanting to re-read some of our favorites but feel overwhelmed by all the other new books coming out that our re-reads get put to the side. We have decided we don't want to put them aside anymore, so we will be taking turns putting up our reviews on our blogs throughout the month. This does not mean we won't keep up with recent releases, it just means we will make more time for those we have read before as well.


Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2)

In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other. 
Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. 
For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past . . . and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack. And Isabelle, who already lost her brother to the wolves . . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole.
You can read my memory post of Linger here.
At First Sight
I love the covers in this series.  I actually love the old versions better than the new although this is one cover change that didn't bother me too much.  I found Linger's cover to be very fitting.

Characters and Relationships
In Shiver we get to know Sam and Grace really well and while this is essentially their story, I absolutely love the relationship that is brought about with Isabel and Cole.  I think without their striking personalities and histories this book would have been very flat.  I love Isabel for her snark and quick thinking and Cole for all of his self-centered attitude.  It was so interesting to watch the evolution of Isabel and Cole from the beginning to the end of the book.  Cold especially is trying to escape a life he hated yet finding a way to actually help others in the one he has ended up in.  

Sam and Grace continue on in much the same fashion as in Shiver, their relationship being tainted by whatever illness there is plaguing Grace and also by her parent's disapproval of Sam in her life.  I actually can't stand her parents for the sole reason that they have been so absent from her life and I believe at 17 they can't just expect her to suddenly do as they please suddenly.  They are the poster children for absentee parenting at it's finest.  

Is this a kissing book?
Some kissing...yes, but the story isn't driven by the romance element of this series.  Nothing that I would consider inappropriate for anyone under age 12.

Don't leave me hanging
This is book 2 out of a 3 book series (with also a spin off book) so obviously we are absolutely left hanging at the end of Linger.

The Best Gems
  • Resoluntions
  • Paper Cranes
  • Bad Kisser
  • "The Boy"
  • Seeing the doctor about wolfism
  • NARKOTIKA

The Sum Up
Linger was is an excellent book and quite a great book to continue this series.  I loved it the first time I read it and I think I may have enjoyed it even more this time.  I think the first time around I didn't appreciate Cole for all he was and because I knew this time more what to expect from his personality I was able to fully appreciate him better.  

I would obviously recommend Shiver to most anyone age 12 and up.  I love this series so much and look forward to moving on to Forever and then I am excited to finally get to Cole's book Sinner soon after.  I truly forgot how much I love him as a character!




Here's how Memory Lane Monday works:
  • Each week the co-hosts will trade off with recapping when it is a re-read or what they have heard so far about the book and the other co-host will put up their review. 
  • The participants can read anything that they remember reading in the past, or something that they have wanted to read that has been around for a while and just haven't gotten around to reading it yet for whatever reason.
  • Participants can decide if they want to recap the book before reading it or just put up a review of what they read.
  • Anyone can join in, just please link back to our blogs as well as add your name to the linky so we can hop around and see what everyone is reading.
  • Please put our banner on your post as well, so we all look the same!
  • We ask you kindly to follow BOTH of our blogs.
  • Most importantly remember to just have fun! :)



We will be providing each week a linky that you will be able use to link your posts for us and everyone else to see as well. All we ask is for you to put up our banner as well as a link back to both hosts on your post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment