Feb 4, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday ~ Books That Make You Cry

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly event hosted by 

This weeks topic:
Books That Make You Cry

With this topic was an interesting challenge because I am a huge crier. I cry at so many books that some of them I lumped together to make room for them all. Here is my list of 
Books That Make You Cry



10 - Everneath by Brodi Ashton

I have yet to read this series but I was one short of ten this week so I asked a friend of mine, who never cries at anything, if she had one I could add.  She said this one was a tear jerker for her so I will take her at her word.





9 - Books About Dogs


I specifically picked this old cover of Where the Red Fern Grows, because I remember my Mom reading this exact book to me when I was a child.  This book, in addition to Old Yeller, Marley and Me, Stone Fox and many others are horrible tear jerkers! I don't like it when dogs die!




8 - Almost any book written by Nicholas Sparks

Before I was a big reader, my husband always bought me a new Nicholas Sparks book every year.  I have read all but 2 books he has written and of those I believe there have only been 2 that haven't made me cry.  Of course I keep coming back for more because that's just what I do when I find a writer I enjoy.  And to think he looks like such a nice guy......





7 - Any Book By Richard Paul Evans

Richard Paul Evans is an author favorite of mine and I will read anything he writes.  I love his writing style and I know I can never go wrong with him.  That being said I also cry at every single book I have read by him.  Is it worth the tears?  Absolutely!

(Side note: He does have a YA Sci-Fi series that has so far been tear free!)





6 - Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

Cinna is my favorite character in this entire series.  I love him even more than the main 3 characters because of his strength and guts.  When bad things happened to him in this book, I totally lost it.







5 - If I Should Die by Amy Plum


This series is a favorite of mine.  I loved every single page of it.  Like most series, I get very attached to the characters and I'm sad to see them go.  Jules in particular made this series sad for me and I definitely shed some tears when it was over.     



4 - Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins

This one for me was mostly because it was the end of a beautiful series.  I couldn't help but shed a few tears if not just for the hope for the future of everyone in Panem.  As most everyone knows this is Banana's favorite series ever so it is on here for his benefit as well as he was helping me with the list.



3 - Tigers Destiny by Colleen Houck

The Tigers Curse series is one of my all time favorites.  I try to keep things spoiler free so I won't say exactly what happenes, but close to the end of this series, events made it such that I sobbed and thinking of it still makes me tear up.






2 - Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince 
by J.K. Rowling

This is absolutely my favorite book of the Harry Potter series.  It was an emotional ride from start to finish for me and when Dumbledore died, that was it......let the flood gates open!






1 - Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare


I have to say this is one of the most well rounded books I have ever read.  I enjoyed this series immensely and did not want it to end.  I cried more for this book than any other I can remember for a very long time. 





That's it for my list.  Let me know what books make you cry?

  

14 comments:

  1. I loved Cinna too, I hated for bad things to come his way. And I HATE when animals die in books! I will go out of my way to avoid books where that's an obvious outcome (get away from me Old Yeller!) but it KILLS ME when I'm reading, like, some YA dystopian and out of nowhere BOOM! a beloved pet dies horribly. Cannot. Handle. Seriously, someone start a site where I can enter a book and find out if any animals are killed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally read you! That was one of the first things I thought of when I went to do this list....animals should not die in books! It is the worst!

      Thanks so much for stopping by

      Kristalyn

      Delete
  2. Ah Catching Fire really got me as well. Oh Mags... I cried more over her than anyone else! Great list! :)

    Amanda @ i solemnly swear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mags was another one that just broke my heart but Cinna....ohhhh I cried and cried and then saw the movie and cried some more. Looking forward to hopping over to your list! Thanks for stopping by!

      Kristalyn

      Delete
  3. I'm surprised Catching Fire never got me. I got choked up, but never any tears! It's been a while since i read Red Fern, but I was so young I didn't add it on my list. I bought it a few months ago to read it again now that I am a lot older. Nicholas Sparks always gets me. I got to the point that I can't read his books anymore because they usually don't have happy endings. I hate watching things like that unfold.

    Amber @ Paradise of Pages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still love Nicholas Sparks books because his writing style is so much what I enjoy. I also feel like I owe it to his books to some extent to read them since they were the few I would read every year even when I wasn't a real reader. :) Thanks for coming over Amber! <3

      Kristalyn

      Delete
  4. Stone Fox made it onto my list, but I've never read Marley & me or Where The Red Fern Grows--I just know both of those would be too heartbreaking for me! You definitely need to be careful with books about dogs . . . :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny story about Stone Fox...I had never heard of it until my 3rd grader came home not long ago and was telling me about it and she just started to have tears running down her face. I was like "what are they reading you at school!" lol Anyway, I had to check it out after that. Dog books and myself definitely do not agree!

      Thanks for stopping by!

      Kristalyn

      Delete
  5. Catching Fire was extremely sad for that fact. I always forget about that.

    And you totally have to read Twenty Boy Summer. The whole concept is just sad and gets you emotional for sure. My fave Ockler book for sure.

    Thanks for stopping by.

    My TTT List

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I will give Twenty Boy Summer a go! Thanks for the extra recommendation and for stopping by!

      Kristalyn

      Delete
  6. Aww Cinna! And yes to Dumbledore as well. Although Sirius made me tear up too. Never okay with animals dying. Gets me almost every time! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All these books this week are a killer! So many that I didn't get to my list as well! Thanks for visiting today!

      Kristalyn

      Delete
  7. We read Where the Red Fern Grows in 6th grade and honestly after reading it I was so pissed at my teacher!! I was like who makes an 11 year old read about dogs that die!! And then she made us watch the movie and I was crying like a ridiculous person in school!! But it was a good book, just too darn sad. And I agree about Nicholas Sparks. I've kind of outgrew that type of romance, but when I was reading them I was sobbing!!

    Thanks for stopping by My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some of these teachers just aren't thinking! I had the same thing happen to my 3rd grader with Stone Fox this year. She was so embarrassed to be crying at school. Thanks so much for visiting today!

      Kristalyn

      Delete